Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tall Ships

Skirt - Agenda // Shirt - KDS Spring (Thrifted) // Belt - Vintage // Shoes - Hot Cakes

And yet another boat related activity! When I heard about the Cleveland Tall Ships Festival I knew I had to go! I've always been fascinated with ships and sailing, and seeing these ships in person and actually getting to tour them....amazing. I've never had so much fun!

We almost went to the Titanic exhibit in the Science Center instead, but I suggested (vehemently suggested, I might add) that since the Titanic exhibit is here until January and the Tall Ships Festival is only this weekend (well, ya know, the weekend I wrote this)...we should see the Tall Ships today. Not that I don't want to see the Titanic exhibit--I'm definitely going to see that. But, I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to go see the Tall Ships!

There were several ships there, but we only toured the STV Unicorn (Yes...Unicorn. Who was in charge of naming that ship, I don't know...) and the Sorlandet. There were also a ton of people walking around in pirate costumes--I wish I could have gone in pirate gear! That would have been fun.

Anyways, the Unicorn is crewed only by women and offers programs for teens and women who want to learn to sail and gain leadership skills. It was a smaller ship, but it was still fun to tour. It was also constructed from the remains of old German U-Boats that were abandoned after the war.

Lastly we toured the Sorlandet. The Sorlandet is the oldest fully functional tall ship in the world! It was also very beautiful. It was a pretty large ship as well--over 200 ft long. I wish we could have stayed on the ship longer though. It's actually a school as well and offers high school and freshman college classes. I really wish I'd known about that before...sounds awesome! And I would have loved to do that :)

Oh, and we also got to tour a custom bus, The Peacemaker, custom made from parts of a '49 and '55 bus. It was beautiful inside, as you can see from the pictures. It sleeps up to 24 people and even has a kitchen on the inside!

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the pictures! Have you ever toured or wanted to tour a ship?

No comments:

Post a Comment